I’ve started to write this post like fifty billion times, but each time I start playing “Boyfriend” for inspiration/relevant background music, I end up spending an hour looping the song twenty times before realizing I’m late to class. Today might have very well ended up similarly, but the previous post is actually pretty relevant to this song, and I’m dying to write about Call Me Maybe but I can’t do that until I explain Justin’s ‘swag’ reference here SO HERE WE GO.
If I’ve spent any time around you in the past two weeks, chances are that I’ve told you about Justin Bieber’s new single, “Boyfriend”. Okay, I’ve been waiting for this song to come out for MONTHS ever since JustinBieber started tweeting about it, like even before I got a twitter. My curiosity was especially peaked after he released the single’s cover art, which is a photo of Justin looking remarkably similar to the photo of John Mayer for the Battle Studies cover art.
tl;dr: Justin Bieber and John Mayer are both dressing up like James Dean and I have NO complaints.
It has taken lit’rally every molecule of self-control in my body NOT to spend every second of my life laying on my couch and letting this song completely infiltrate each cell in my body. Also (according to Ernesto), I’ve been having bodyroll control issues whenever I so much as think about the song. Clearly, I’m in the Love-Love stage with this song, and rightly so. This leaves me at the crossroads to end all crossroads, because (as I’ve expressed multiple times to the public and to the Carleton hip hop community) this song in its entirety would be such good dance material. But it’s also such good listening material, and if this song turns into a dance that I spend hours and hours choreographing and cleaning, I can essentially guarantee that I’ll never listen to it on my own without wanting to puke.
BUT AUGH JUST LISTEN. The first 50 seconds are actually on their knees, begging to be danced to. It’s so so so so tempting. Even if I forgo this song for the spring show, I’ve got a pretty good idea for an ideal music video which would involve having me in the center of a V-formation with Justin Bieber on my left and Justin Timberlake on my right. At some point, we might do a segment knee-deep in a giant fondue pot. Or maybe dripping in fondue chocolate. I’ll probably save the rest of my feelings for another post.. most of my feeling/thoughts/proposed music video ideas are slightly R-rated, so it might just be a video of the various facial expressions I make when I listen to this song. We’ll see.
This post hasn’t been super intelligible, so let me just sum up for you why I can’t stop daydreaming about this song.
1. The oddly enticing orca sounds throughout the song that appeal to the Free Willy lover in me.
2. The “Till the World Ends” reference that would tie in PERFECTLY to the Till World Ends remix dance I’m doing. Destiny? I think so.
3. The Buzz Lightyear reference is freaking ripe with potential for airplane arm moves. \ 0 / _ 0 _ <- sort of like those
4. “swag, swag, swag” (Natalia and I had to listen to this part three different times before realizing that’s what he was saying) (I said it was sexy and she looked at me awkweirdly)
4. “say hello to falsetto in three, two, swag”
6. The overall obsession with swag-related things. Which even makes its way to the Call Me Maybe video that I can’t stop watching!! Tomorrow’s post fosho.
7. Is it weird that I imagine Artie from Glee singing this along with Justin? In any case, it’s a PRO.
8. Timberlakian falsettos that gave me goosebumps in the best way possible. asdkjlksjflskdjf
I think it’s clear that I have A Type and that type is Boys Named Justin Who Dance Well And Falsetto Their Way Into My Heart.